WebsiteVoice

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

End of summer wrap-up....

Wow, I can't believe summer is slipping away already. Even when it's a little too hot I still love this time of year when everything is all green and alive. It makes me feel more alive.

But on the bright side, September always feels like a time to begin anew. I guess I still get that new school year feeling, and it feels like a time to get back to business. For me, it feels like a much better time to set new goals than January, in the dead of winter.

So, to move on, here's some pics of the last few weeks. Above is a wrap-up of the 5 weeks of Lilla's Make Art That Sells e-course. I stumbled on week 4. I was originally excited about it since it was all about having fun, and following where the paint takes you. It sounded like a great idea, but my 'illustrate with a purpose' brain began to have a lot of anxiety over the loss of direction. So, after the course I picked up some books on intuitive painting, and did some experimenting. Well, that is, after I painted this old bookcase.

Since there was already tarp all over my living room, I turned the area into a temporary work space to help loosen me up. Big strokes need a big space, right? I had fun playing with some various materials.

Then I tried some smaller scale experiments...

In the meantime, my tiny garden filled in nicely this year....
and I had some nice visitors.

I hiked some woods, and found some inner peace and stuff. :)

After rearranging my studio, I discovered with the addition of some bamboo utensil holders, my old Ikea computer desk is a great place to store paints.

Now, I'm happy with my studio space again. :)

So, back to the sketchbooks........
 

6 comments:

melinda beavers said...

Looks like you've had quite the busy summer, Angela!! I LOVE the bookcase! Your class and intuitive projects are gorgeous and I especially like your crowned fish! Congrats on such a fruitful summer and best of luck with starting the autumn season with new goals and motivation! I'm inspired to do the same! :)
-m.

Angela Matteson said...

Thanks Melinda! Good luck to you too!

John L said...

I love this post, I love your art, I love your photographs. I can't believe you took those amazing hummingbird photos! They are so clear and close, I've never been able to get near a hummingbird, never mind photograph it with perfect colors and composition.

I hope this fall brings many new artistic adventures!

Shirley said...

I second John's thoughts..I love this post too! Angela, your world always makes me smile..from your art, to your honesty about how things work out, and to all of your DIY! Gosh, what a gorgeous bookcase, and delightful studio space...love it! And congrats on the MATS course..I would have torn my hair out I am sure. Beautiful beautiful work, Angela! Wishing you a lovely fresh September and season ahead. I love the fall too! :)

Nina Crittenden said...

Here's to you, what a fantastic summer you've had! Ditto what John said, I am blown away by your hummingbird photos!

Unknown said...

Oh I love the change in seasons, but I miss the garden. It looks like you had a great summer though!